Friday 3 February 2017

Hello 2017 - What's been happening so far!

Happy New Year!

Yes, the long awaited blog post has finally arrived!
I was meant to post before Christmas but never got around to it, so sorry about that.

So 2017 has got off to a busy and exciting start.
Last week I was up in Dublin at the RDS at Showcase Ireland, Ireland's largest Craft & Design trade show for Irish and International buyers. It's on every year and this year it celebrated it's 41st year.
I was very honored to represent Wexford Local Enterprise Office as the only exhibitor for Wexford up on the balcony, in the newly laid out Local Enterprise Showcase Area (previously known as the Enterprise Zone)upstairs in the Main Hall.
I was between Fingal and Wicklow enterprise boards and all the exhibitors were lovely, those whom I spoke to. Too many to mention but it was nice to get to know them all.
My stand was F17 and both my parents came up and helped me set up. Especially my Dad who helped assemble a piece of furniture for me and was very handy with a electric drill, hammer and nails. He was well worn afterwards but all the stands had family helping in some way. And I appreciated the help.
They were in and out during the four days while I was up there. I stayed up in Dublin for the duration of the show with my aunt. The only downside was she was a bit far out, between Tempelogue and Knocklyon so it meant getting up an hour earlier in the mornings except for Sunday as we were against morning rush hour traffic during the week, with people getting to work and school. So by the end of each day I was exhausted and ready for bed!

The show went really well for me, there was lots of Interest in my work. Overall I am delighted with the response and outcome.
I had a selection of Sea studies, both small and large and two larger again pieces that everybody seemed to get drawn into. These were two last minute pieces that I decided to do and get professionally framed and they just really caught the eye of lots of people as well as gallery owners. I also had Lampshades and to one side a small selection of baubles. Just thought I'd bring them along and see and sure enough they were liked too.
I met a load of people from all over the country, especially those along the Wild Atlantic Way - West of Ireland Coastline and around the South as well as up in the North and to the East. So well spread out! The sea pieces caught the eye of those living in coastal areas, so who knows where my work could prop up this summer! ;)
Overall it was worth doing and I've already put my spoke in for 2018. Same as last year I was way too early putting my spoke in but I don't hang around until the last minute. Best to say so as early as possible.

It was nice to see some members of the Wexford Craft Trail, who stopped by my stand to say hello. I know Patsy and Paul were also exhibiting and Denis had a rug downstairs that he collaborated on with Helen Steele the Fashion Designer. I met Patsy on the ground floor, both Paul and Denis came up for a look and it was also nice to see Mary Gallagher and Mairead Cairbre who stopped by my stand as well as Padraic and Mairead Parle. I also saw some familiar Gorey faces too, so that was nice.
I knew quite a few exhibitors on the ground floor and met others for the first time who follow me on Instagram and so on. It was nice to meet them in person and put a face to the name. The catering was amazing! Best catering I've seen in the RDS in like ever!!! Hopefully, they keep up the same standard for other shows.

Since being home, I've been going through my new contacts and still busily thanking each one for visiting my stand.
I removed left over Christmas stock from Market House Design on Wednesday (day before yesterday) and delivered in new stock.
Everyone in my family have had bad headcold's and coughs recently and over Christmas.
I escaped it all luckily, I was working like a mad yolk in the studio all over Christmas. I had very little to no social life... honestly... over Christmas. I did see some people and went to the cinema and for lunch, but I didn't hang out or go for drinks with friends throughout the whole festive season, it was by choice. I really got into my work, I didn't really want to go out to be honest. Tradition went out the window.
Anyway as a result, I made some really nice pieces of work and to top that off I finally managed to land a cold!
Yes I'm last to get the dose in the house this week, but still managing to move around and get things done. I have to!!
Stopped off in Boots the other day and stocked up on strepsil's and vitamin C / multivitamins not to mention hot water with honey and lemon works wonders! My voice is all groggy today, may not have one tomorrow! It's not nice being under the weather but the weather is not helping much either!

Anyway, so far 2017 has been pretty interesting and sure I'll let you know how it develops. At the moment, I'm keeping things quite close to my chest but I'll announce things as the weeks go on. It's shaping up to be Interesting, hopefully!
I would like to thank Wexford Local Enterprise Office for their support and to all the team at Showcase Ireland / The Design & Crafts Council of Ireland for eveything. I really enjoyed it. Thank you.

See below a few Images from Showcase Ireland of my stand, samples of my work and I.

Until March, :) Grainne x






No comments:

Post a Comment